Welcome! You are invited to Kayak-Kings Cardboard Kayaking competition.
This is your chance to create an awesome cardboard kayak and paddle it, in a Pembrokeshire harbour, against other like minded people. Paddle your cardboard craft through our challenging course and on to the destruction derby competing against others to win awards… You can make it yourself or build it as part of a team representing work, bar buddies, sports club, youth group or mates etc…
Date and Time
Sunday 3rd of September – Competitors: 3:00pm / Spectators: 4:00pm
At the end of the Quay in Lower Town Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, Wales, SA65 9NB. (Parking is available in the main car park for Lower Town Fishguard)
Twenty two cardboard kayaks race in a series of silly challenges while knowing that eventually that inevitable sinking feeling will happen…
“Join us for a great evening of cardboard kayaking”
Watch the Cardboard Kayaking
Don’t want to get wet? You need to see this happen and watching is FREE!
Observe the battle between rival cardboard kayak craftsmen from the side lines while listening to live music. The Yatch club bar will be open and the excellent “Cafe on the Quay” will be offering some tasty food.
Parking is available in the main car park and the sea cadets car park.
“Crazy Race” – All cardboard kayak competitors will race a course.
Paddle around the marked course and bump into the final marker buoy to finish the race.
“Destruction Derby” – An all-out battle between the remaining card board kayaks in a Destruction derby.
The cardboard kayaks must stay inside the centre of the course where they need to stay afloat the longest to win.
There will be Awards for:
“Best themed kayak & paddler”– Most awesome looking kayak and paddler combination!
“Titanic Award” – Most Impressive sinking…
“Race event winner” – Fastest competitor on the course events.
“Last man/women Standing” – Final Destruction Derby with the last remaining competitor taking the win!
Want to compete??
You are very welcome. The competition is a light hearted event and we hope to have a great day playing on the water. Read the rules below then build your cardboard kayak. Please bring your sense of humour and expect to get wet!
There is a minimum £5 registration donation which will be donated to the Lower Town Fishguard Sea cadet unit.
All team captains and boats must be present for scrutineers meeting at 3.00pm.
There will be safety coverage along the course for any sinkers. 🙂
For more information click the titles below…
How to build a cardboard Kayak
All you need is cardboard and a little boat-building creativity.
Building a boat that floats can be fun and easy just imagine your design and do it.. Designs can be anything you like, but make sure you read the rules and regulations before starting out. If you are struggling for ideas just do a search on Google or YouTube…
“Be aware that even with a boat made to awesome workmanship standards,
you’re probably going to sink if you take too long on the water!”
Cardboard comes in many forms as long as it’s cardboard, you can use it…
You can use:
- Cardboard – in it’s many forms…
- Duct tape – used to reinforce seams NOT as a waterproof covering.
- Glue – NOT on the exterior layer as waterproofing but acceptable between layers…
Decorative elements only:
Please decorate your kayak in anyway you feel. Decorations are allowed and encouraged, please use any materials you like, provided they are not used as structural or floatation elements (that means no waterproof paint). – Crew costumes and matching bank side team costumes are also encouraged. 🙂
- Teams can be an individual or of unlimited size but the boat must have at least one person paddling it and finish with all the people it started with.
- Each team must have a nominated Captain.
- Every crew member must wear a personal floatation device (PFD) -We can provide you with one for a small donation
There is no age restriction other than common sense of competitors and the judge.
- All contestants must sign an entry form – If under 18 they must have a guardian sign for them.
- During competition, crew must be IN the boat, not towing it, or holding it between their legs, swimming, or allowing the life jacket to provide the floatation of the vessel.
- Contestants are expected to maintain decorum and dignity.
Sunken or discarded boats must be disposed of in designated area.
- THIS IS A FUN EVENT!!! Please enjoy and treat others with respect.
- The biggest rule that overrules all other rules is “The Judges say is final”.