Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning
9am & 4.30pm | 7.5 hours
The British Canoeing Awarding Body Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning Training.
Designed for those paddlers carrying out coastal journeys including islands up to 2 nautical miles offshore in areas of tidal movement up to 2 knots. A prerequisite for those seeking their British Canoeing Sea Kayak Leader Award. However, anyone wishing to undertake journeys on the sea using a kayak would find the technical and theoretical aspects not only useful but essential for safe travel in the marine environment!
Minimum age: n/a
Location: Classroom-based in the Kayak-King Academy training centre.
It gives candidates the skills to be able to plan and navigate safely in moderate water environments through the use of practical planning. The aim of this course is to give the student the tools to enable them to plan and navigate effectively on coastal journeys in moderate sea conditions.
This will include the following aspects:
- To interpret sources of information including maps, charts, coastal pilots and tide tables
- To navigate on the water using visual references and simple pilotage techniques, e.g. transits and dead reckoning
- Effective use of a compass
- To be able to source, interpret and apply weather information to the coastal environment
- By the end of the course, each student should have planned at least 2 coastal journeys that they can take home as references for further trip planning
- To be aware of the range of resources required to plan trips in the coastal environment
- Students should be made aware of the role of the Coastguard and the value of liaising with them
By the end of the course, each candidate should have planned at least 2 open crossings that they can take home as references for further trip planning. Candidates should also be aware of the range of resources they require to plan trips in any sea area.
For more information on the content covered, please read the Syllabus.
Attendance certificates are issued to successful candidates by their Delivery Centre following a recommendation from the course provider.
Got questions? contact your coach directly here: Academy@kayak-king.com